Sunday, March 6, 2011

Poetry & the Pope


 I’ve been thinking about poetry a lot lately. I’ve been teaching poetry and the writing of literary essays about poetry in my lit classes, and my creative writing students have been working on their own poetry. I’ve been struggling, trying to explain why poetry matters, how it’s different from any other form of writing, where poets come up with the subjects of their poems & why they bother. I have loads of teacherly answers to these questions, and I love to listen to the discussion these questions can generate in a classroom. But honestly, I don’t know. Not ANY of it. And I’m not being evasive, or snobbish (as in, I know but can’t possibly tell YOU), or falsely self-deprecating—the befuddled writer who’s secretly in Stage 4 of Buddhahood. I seriously just don’t know.

Here’s a good example. At the same time Pope John Paul II was on his deathbed, I was down for the count with a brutal case of bronchitis. I lay in a recliner, wrapped in a sleeping bag, watching CNN’s 24/7 coverage of the Pope’s eminent demise. For three days (seriously…THREE days), I wandered in & out of a fever delirium, waking occasionally in a hazy fog, with some tidbit of news about the Pope drifting into my brain like a dream. At one point, I woke briefly to hear a physician commentator explain why the Pope was having difficulty breathing (I was a symphony of bronchial wheezing & coughing myself at that time) and I KNEW in that momentary, cosmic way of delirium, that the Pope and I were ONE…united in a crazy Vulcan mind (and pulmonary) meld. He drifted in & out of my consciousness after that, in a surreal, fever-induced slideshow.

But here’s the really weird part: my fever & brain fog finally broke when the Pope died. I’m not Catholic, and I hadn’t given ANY Pope a second thought before then. Still, this feeling stuck with me—the feeling that my buddy John Paul and I had had a moment. It stewed for a few months, and then this poem spilled out, nearly complete...

MARCH 31, 2005: MEDITATIONS IN EIGHT

Midway through a 104-degree
delirium I wake briefly
in sudden profound joy
to the certainty
that John Paul and I
bed-bound feverish brethren
are steeped in a mind meld—
I drift off again.

Illuminated in scarlet
weightless now
we pirouette
in a breathless dervish
lungs laboring in thick air
above a blue fog chasm
that separates the living
from the dead.

Stunned by the
silence, the grace
of this dance, my clever
thoughts hang in blue blue blue 
air, like a useless bridge.
I grin my schoolgirl grin
and he names me
Only Love.

Two days later the fever breaks
he whirls on without me
I click back into clever
and must not speak of this
how I know I’ve been sick
how I know I’ve been cured
above a foggy precipice
by love, only love.

So there it is. I know what got the ball rolling, but I still don’t know where the poem came from, why, what it all means, whether or not it matters. It's all a big fat mystery to me. And I’m fine not knowing. 

As a side note, I learned long after his death that the Pope had been a poet in his younger years. Go figure…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! ;)