Saturday, January 7, 2017

Fasten your seatbelts...


The new semester starts Monday, and I might actually be…READY!! It’s a scary thought, me being ready for something, but I think I have Donald Trump, aka Voldemort, to thank. I think I’ve actually thrown myself into semester prep in order to avoid thinking about a world where Voldemort could actually become president. It’s like a horror/sitcom pilot so bizarre even Rod Serling wouldn’t bite.

In spite of my avoidance, I know I’m still shaken to the core by the election disaster. I know because I accidentally deleted the past THREE YEARS of this blog; I know because I’m looking seriously at Mexican retirement spots; I know because I’m stockpiling dehydrated food; I know because I will no longer laugh off, ignore, or tolerate ANYTHING I’m asked to chalk up to “boys will be boys” or “locker room.”




I am a diehard, unashamed liberal, but I have many Republican friends (and family members). I can coexist with Republicans, many of whom are just as perplexed and disillusioned, and who are about to be royally screwed by their own party. But I will not, any more, be friends with anyone who tries to justify, excuse, or explain away Voldemort’s comments or behavior, his kissing of Putin arse, nor the sexual assault and harassment charges brought against him by so many frightened, humiliated women (and a 13-year-old girl). I will not listen anymore to Republican red-herring redirections to Bill or Hillary, while Voldemort assaults or bullies another individual, group, or country. He may hold power for the next four years or until he’s impeached, but he is not, and never will be, my president. 

I hope the folks who say we have to hit rock bottom before real change can happen are right. Because Voldemort will surely take us as far down as we’ve ever been. In the meantime, I will madly (yep, both meanings) prep for classes, dehydrate some more kale, knit, and as my mother taught me, hum “Battle Hymn of the Republic.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! ;)