Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Rice and Greens and Sprouts...O My


As part of our new health revamp at the Row, we're eating tons of this stuff. It's one of our favorite quick meals. I keep the sauce in a honey bear container in the fridge (and add it to other things, as well). This recipe makes enough for two people to eat for a couple of days or more.

Korean Kongnamul Bab

Make sauce ahead: In a shakeable bottle, put ½ c. soy sauce (I use Bragg Liquid Aminos), 3 T. roasted sesame oil, and 1 t. cayenne pepper. Shake & refrigerate.

Put 1 c. rice in a large, heavy stainless steel or ceramic pot.
Add 2 ¼ c. water or stock to the pot.
(Note: If I’m using brown rice, I put a lid on the pot, put the pot over high heat, and add remaining ingredients once steam is coming out around lid. If I’m using white rice, I add all other ingredients first, then start the cooking.)

Add to pot in layers, any combination of:
(1)   chopped bok choy, hin choy (amaranth, also called Chinese spinach), napa cabbage, fresh spinach, kale…whatever greens you have around
(2)  chopped broccoli or other veggies (I only had red pepper to add to the batch pictured here)
(3)  snow peas & green onions
(4)  a big, thick layer of bean sprouts on top (I MUCH prefer soybean sprouts, but they’re hard to find and can't be had in our Little Town at all, so I often use mung bean sprouts)

Put lid on (I usually have such a mound by now that getting the lid on is a trick), and put pot over high heat. When steam begins escaping around lid, turn heat down to low and simmer until all liquid is absorbed. Dish up, sprinkle with just a LITTLE sauce (it’s HOT), serve with cold kimchee on the side, and eat while watching Finding Bigfoot. Mmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! ;)