It’s Halloween. And something really scary happened this morning—I realized as NPR woke us up, that whenever I hear someone say “the president,” I knot up in a hard lump of seething anger. And if I hear Voldemort’s voice, my anxiety level jumps to “steaming fissure.” It occurred to me, again, that I need to focus on what's GOOD in the world.
In order to surround myself with a more positive vibe, I’ve given up all news except PBS News Hour (and I only watch that every couple of weeks). For the rest of my news, I watch Colbert, Oliver, and Bee. Still, putting a funny spin on the news isn’t enough to soothe my anxiety. So, in addition to my gratitude journal, meditation, extra Vitamin B and chamomile tea, lavender baths, Theta-wave music CD’s, and extended periods of total silence, I’ve compiled a list of things to remind me (us) that in spite of a relatively small number of GRUBS (Greedy Repulsive Unrepentant Bastards), we humans are pretty okay…
1. All but the most radical people of faith—of all major religions—are beautifully kind, peaceful, and generous people. For example, after the shooting by a white terrorist at a Pittsburgh synagogue, Muslim organizations instantly raised over $200,000 to help victims and their families. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/29/us/muslims-raise-money-pittsburgh-synagogue.html
2. I finished grading a stack of papers, and the next batch won’t come in for THREE. WHOLE. DAYS.
3. The Great Barrier Reef has been dying. Scientists have now successfully bred GBR coral in the lab and transplanted it back in the wild.
4. Young people are expected to turn out in record numbers for the November 6 midterm elections.
5. The hole in the ozone layer above Antarctica is recovering, according to NASA: https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/2017GL074830
6. My 82-year-old mother fell twice last week. Hard. On a hardwood floor. She didn’t break a bone, and her spectacular shiner only adds to her Halloween witchery.
7. Honeybee populations are on the rise.
8. Our kids, their partners, and our grandkids are compassionate, funny, smart, dear human beings all.
9. This barber gives homeless folks haircuts for a hug: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/homeless-pay-for-haircuts-with-hugs-in-conn-town/.
10. The Women’s March of 2017 drew over 3 million people. 3 MILLION.
11. Ezri lost another tooth, this time at school so she could show everyone, and she brought to dinner, so she could show everyone at the restaurant, too.
12. Our bathroom remodel, to make our main floor more mom-friendly, is finally done. And it turned out sweet as can be.
13. Babies were born to two of my online students (in the same class) in the last month. Both students kept right on with their school work and let me post pics of the babies on our course website.
14. Coffee prices have been decreasing (so stock up the freezer—they’re expected to go up up up starting in 2019).
15. Trick-or-Treaters. C’MON! Could these kids BE any more adorable and full of promise?!?
16. A record 256 women are running for the House and Senate in November. SO PLEASE VOTE.