Saturday, March 17, 2012

Erin Go Bragh[less]!

I'm not a whit Irish, in spite of the red hair. Still, any day celebrated with parades, singing, dancing, and green beer is my kinda holiday. To kick things off, look up Saint Dymphna for a lesser known bit of Irish history. And here's my poetic tribute to to the wee lass, a little opening prayer for the day and for whatever compassion we can muster for one another...


ST. DYMPHNA

            patron of the mentally ill

In fitful dreams I find you shivering
in rowan and ferns along the Blackwater
river, wreathed in St. John’s wort
& anointed with yellow-rattle,
half-starved and wrapped in a celtar
cinched at the waist with an oak rosary,
humming strains of your mother’s brief
lullaby. But your father was a chieftain
and knew the magic, found you anyway.
Grief or madness drove him to finger
your small bones for signs of her
in the curve of your emerging breasts,
the winged cup of your pelvis, your
silky down, and you a fugitive
child with courage enough to keep locked
that garden gate, though he found you
again, sealed the gate forever. Forsaken
daughter, in my own trembling delusion
I am your Síle na Gigh, we offer up
a novena to our Mother and for nine days
I give you this blessing too—my stone lap
cushioned with heather & moss, pillow
for your bruised and worried brow.

(Amen.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! ;)