Monday, November 5, 2012

WWCD?

-->
Among other things, the pons area of the brain (the part I fried in a little baby stroke that I affectionately named BS) regulates emotions. And no matter what part of the brain a stroke affects, depression is often part of the aftermath. For me, this has resulted in occasional spontaneous sobbing. And as much energy as it takes to coordinate my left hand finger movements now, it can take even more at times to keep myself from diving into the bottomless pool of self pity. I LOVE my brain…my brain TURNED on me, dammit.

Then yesterday, I was listening to an OM chanting CD loaned to me by my friend CK, when it hit me like a ton of bricks: CK had a double lung transplant, and I’ve never heard her complain about it. Not once. Not about the disease that led to the transplant…not about the numerous trips to Mayo…not about the anti-rejection drugs. None of it. Oh, I’m smart enough to know that in her private moments, she’s probably let down her guard once or twice. But whenever I’ve seen/talked to/emailed her, she is the epitome of peacefulness & positivity.

So in those moments when I want to crumple to the floor and weep, when I feel old and battered, my new mantra will be: WWCD? I’m pretty sure she would offer someone a big happy smile and a cup of coffee. And bad left hand or no, I can do that too…although now, it’ll be decaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! ;)