Wednesday, November 2, 2011

In a Bristol state of mind...



Marty Stewart - dig those purple suits
I have stacks of papers to grade, so of course, I’m daydreaming about music. In September, Ray’s sister and brother-in-law treated us (and “treated” is putting it mildly) to a trip to Bristol TN for the Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion music festival. Check it out: http://www.bristolrhythm.com

The Greencards
State Street, Bristol TN
I LOVE traveling and couldn’t wait to go, although I’m not a fan of bluegrass or “roots” or “Americana” or whatever you wanna call THAT kind of music, so I was sure I’d be people-watching and ignoring the music. Silly, silly me.
Darrell Scott
Our digs at Flo's
Flo's sitting room
We stayed in Bristol at Flo’s Hideaway (http://www.flo-s-hideaway.com), an amazing Victorian B & B run by a Parisian woman and her East Coast husband, Carl. Our suite was like a doll house museum, and Flo & Carl were the epitome of delightful, welcoming hosts. Breakfast each morning was good strong coffee, yogurt, fruit, and home-baked croissants or crepes. If we got back in at a decent hour, there was wine and conversation on the back veranda. Seriously, people, I wanted to grab the doorframe and make them DRAG me out when it was time to leave.

The festival was three days of music, with 20+ venues lining State Street in Bristol. And yeah, the place was eyeball-deep in fiddles, pedal steel, and twangy gee-tar, but I also heard some of the best, most fun, interesting and innovative music I’d ever seen gathered in one spot. I had to chew on my misguided preconceptions of THAT kind of music and try not to embarrass my family by leaping out of my seat in a fit of wild interpretive South Dakota dance.

crazy NASCAR fan
The trip also included a wonderful afternoon boat ride (and a bat rescue - the bat had been sleeping under the boat tarp), and a trip to the NASCAR track because, well, it's in Bristol, and you just gotta see it.

So THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to Ray’s kin for the amazing time, the incredible memories, and the tasty, tasty humble pie…

My BRRR faves:

The Greencards – I want to BE this woman - http://www.thegreencards.com/news.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! ;)